I wasn’t planning to write an annual review, in fact I’ve never written one before. Usually I get to December or January and start planning the next set of goals and objectives, with little thought for what I have achieved over the past year. This year, however, I read a great post by Benny Hsu over at Get Busy Living and it inspired me to write my own annual review, using the really helpful template that Benny provides.
This year has been a big one for me. Realizing that the only limits to what I can achieve in life are the ones I place on myself has given me a completely new perspective on life and enabled me to do a number of things that I previously would have thought impossible or beyond me. What surprises me the most as I review how much I’ve achieved this year, is that the only thing that has changed is my perspective on what is possible.
10 greatest things that happened in the past year:
1. Becoming a blogger
5. Climbing the highest peak in North Africa, Mount Toubkal
9. Moving in with my oldest and closest friend
10. Discovering my life purpose.
I am most proud of these three accomplishments from last year:
1. Creating and maintaining this blog, Life is Limitless
2. Quitting my job in order to achieve my dreams of traveling the world
3. Finding the courage to do a skydive.
Three great lessons I’ve learned from last year are:
Three personal developments I have made in the past year are:
2. Attending Toastmasters in order to improve my public speaking skills
If I could do things again last year, I would do these three things differently:
2. I would have made more of an effort to save money for my forthcoming travels
3. I would have stood up for myself more in the workplace.
Three things I need to do less of in the next year are:
1. Eating unhealthy foods
2. Staring at a computer screen
3. Limiting myself.
Three things I need to do more of in the next year are:
1. Physical exercise
2. Working on my blog
3. Connecting with like-minded people.
Three things I need to stop completely doing in the next year are:
1. Doubting myself
2. Worrying about the reactions people might have to what I write on this blog
3. Allowing the negativity of others to affect me.
Three reasons I didn’t achieve my goals from this past year are:
1. Underestimating how much time my day job takes up
2. Setting too many goals
3. Pushing myself too hard, leading to burn out.
Three goals I want to achieve next year are:
1. Launch a personal development product
2. Start coaching
3. Travel the world.
Three reasons why I want to achieve these goals are:
1. I want to start earning money doing and creating things that I love
2. I want to start doing work that benefits others
3. I want to see as much of the world as I can.
Smartest decision I made this year:
The smartest decision I made was to finally acknowledge that the default measures of success that I grew up with don’t work for me. Redefining what success means for me and starting to live by my own definition of success rather than that of others has completely changed my life.
Biggest risk I took this year:
Quitting my job to follow my dreams.
One sentence that sums up this past year:
2011 goes down as the year that I started living without limits.
One year from right now, I want to my ideal day to look like this:
My ideal day would include the following:
- Waking up feeling rested and excited about the day ahead.
- Spending time exploring the world around me.
- Having new experiences.
- Doing activities that expand my comfort zone.
- Spending time writing and doing work that helps others.
- Connecting with other courageous people who share my passion for life and who are living their true purpose.
- Going to bed feeling like I made a contribution to the world I live in.
I have a feeling that next year is going to be EVEN bigger and better than this year was for me and I hope that you continue to follow this blog and join me on what promises to be one hell of an adventure.
How was 2011 for you? Do you have big plans for next year? I’d love to hear how your year has been. Until next week, hope you have a very Happy Christmas! If you’ve enjoyed my review please do share by hitting one of the buttons below.